Representatives of BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® and an industry influencer will visit approximately twenty-nine (29) markets in the United States. During these visits, eligible bartenders will have a chance to create imaginative gin-based cocktails using BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin.
You will be required to prepare and submit an original cocktail recipe that meets the Recipe Criteria described below (your “Entry”). There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person.
- Recipes must be expressed in fluid ounces, divided in respectively whole numbers (0.5 oz., 1 oz., 2 oz., etc.), with dashes and/or drops being the smallest quantities.
- The recipe must be gin-based and include BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin. You can use as many ingredients as you like.
- The content of the cocktail must be between 3 oz. and 11 oz. (including dashes and drops).
- You may not use flaming alcohol or flames near alcohol.
- Ingredients must be safe for human consumption.
- You must specify a name for your recipe. The name may not include any copyrighted or trademarked material or any retailer’s name, except that you may use the BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® brand in the name.
“Imagination” is a key component of the Competition. Imagination will be judged based on how well an Entry demonstrates a creative cocktail concept and how well it uses creative ingredients, textures, flavors, and expressions in the execution of the cocktail/mixed drink that enhances some/all of the ten botanicals in BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin.
By entering, you agree to the attached Terms and Conditions of Entry.
How to Participate
- Register: To register, visit www.mostimaginativebartender.com, and sign up to compete during one of the available time windows in your city
- Preliminary Judging: Between approximately April 24 and May 10, 2017, a Bombay Sapphire Gin Ambassador and an industry influencer will visit your bar. During the visit, you will be asked to create two (2) full-sized servings of your Entry in no more than eight (8) minutes. Entrants judged based on the General Judging Criteria described below. In addition, you will be asked to submit the recipe detail for your Entry at the time of judging, including drink name, inspiration, ingredients, measures, recommended glassware, preparation instructions and a photo of the drink. Three (3) blind judges from the USBG will also judge the cocktail based on the Blind Judging Criteria described below. The judges will select no more than ten (10) Local Finalists in each market or group of markets based on the live judging and blind judging scores.
- Local Finalist Requirements: Except where prohibited, each Local Finalist may be required to complete and return a declaration of eligibility, a liability/publicity release, and an authorization to conduct a background check. Sponsor reserves the right (in its sole discretion) to disqualify a Local Finalist if he/she does not sign the necessary forms within five (5) days of the date notification is sent. If a Local Finalist returns these documents on time, he/she will be invited to participate in the Regional Finals in one (1) of approximately eleven (11) cities.
- Regional Finals: The Regional Finals will take place between May and June 2017. See the website for specific dates and times in each city. During the Regional Finals, each of the ten (10) Local Finalists per city will be asked to create his/her Entry. Local Finalists will have eight (8) minutes to create three (3) full-sized servings of their Entry for the judges. Local Finalists will be judged based on the General Judging Criteria described below. There will be three (3) judges: (a) one USBG Judge; (b) one Bombay Sapphire Gin Ambassador; and (c) one Bar Industry Influencer. These judges will select one (1) Regional Finalist per market or group of markets based on the scores.
- Tales of the Cocktail: The eleven (11) Regional Finalists (plus one (1) from Canada) will each receive a trip to Tales of the Cocktail in July 2017. The trip includes: (1) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the Regional Finalist’s home to New Orleans and (b) hotel accommodations for three (3) nights. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip $1,000. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel.
- Trip to the Finals: The eleven (11) Regional Finalists (plus one (1) from Canada) will each receive a trip to the UK to compete in the Finals in late August 2017. The trip includes: (a) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the Regional Finalist’s home to London; and (b) hotel accommodations for four (4) nights. Finalists may also be featured in GQ digital articles. GQ may require a Regional Finalist to sign additional release forms before being photographed. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip is $2,500. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel.
Finals in London, England
The Finals will take place over five (5) days between London and the BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Distillery at Laverstoke Mill in England. During the Finals, the Regional Finalists will compete against each other in various bartending challenges. The challenges will be judged according to the criteria disclosed at the event. Participants must use their own equipment. The judging panel will pick one (1) Grand Prize winner based on the highest scores.
The following General Judging Criteria will be used to judge a contestant’s cocktail for Preliminary and Regional Rounds:
- Flavor (aroma, taste, balance): 1-20 points
- Appearance of Drink: 1-10 points
- Bartender Presentation: 1-10 points
- Imagination (judged upon demonstrating a creative cocktail concept and by using creative ingredients, textures, flavors, and expressions that will be used in executing a cocktail/mixed drink that enhances some/all of the ten botanicals in BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin): 1-10 points
Two (2) points will be deducted for every minute (or fraction of a minute) that a contestant goes beyond the allotted times.
The following criteria will ONLY be used in case of a tie. The points will not be added unless there is the need to break a tie:
- Overall impression of drink: 1-4 points
The following Blind Judging Criteria will be used to judge a contestant’s Entry in the Preliminary Judging Round:
- Recipe (perceived aroma, taste, balance): 1-20 points
- Appearance of Drink: 1-15 points
- Imagination (judged upon demonstrating a creative cocktail concept and by using creative ingredients, textures, flavors, and expressions that will be used in executing a cocktail/mixed drink that enhances some/all of the ten botanicals in BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Gin): 1-15 points
The Grand Prize winner will be featured in digital content on GQ and other Conde Nast digital properties, as determined by GQ, and will receive a stipend of $10,000 from USBG for their services. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details.
Prize Details (for all Trips)
A winner is responsible for paying any income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. He/she will be required to provide a Social Security Number for tax reporting purposes. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by USBG, in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. A winner may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, USBG reserves the right to substitute a prize (or component thereof) with another prize (or component thereof) of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by USBG, in its sole discretion. Winners must travel on the dates specified by USBG. Once travel documents are issued, travel arrangements cannot be changed. If a winner cannot travel on the dates specified by USBG, he/she will not be permitted to compete in the next stage of the Competition. Winners are responsible for securing passports, visas, and any other documents necessary for international travel.
USBG’s Most Imaginative Bartender Contest Terms and Conditions of Entry
No purchase is necessary to participate in the Contest.
- Sponsor: The Contest is offered by United States Bartenders’ Guild (“USBG”), 2654 West Horizon Ridge Parkway, Suite B5 PMB 252 Henderson, NV 89052.
- Eligibility: The Contest is open only to individuals who (a) are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (except residents of Utah), (b) are at least twenty-five (25) years old as of the date of entry, (c) work in a bar at the time of entry, and (d) have a passport valid through February 2018. Individuals who are full- or part-time employees of USBG, Bacardi U.S.A., Inc. (“Bacardi”), GQ Magazine, or New Team LLC d/b/a Team Enterprises at the time of entry, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Agreement to Terms and Conditions: By participating in this Contest, you indicate your unconditional agreement to these Terms and Conditions, the Program Requirements, and USBG’s decisions, which are final and binding. You cannot win a prize unless you comply with all requirements set forth herein. USBG reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions or the Program Requirements at any time, without prior notice. Any changes will be posted on www.mostimaginativebartender.com. Moreover, by participating, you represent that you are complying with any policies your employer may have regarding participation in contests of this nature.
- Background Check: Sponsor reserves the right (at any point and in its sole discretion) to disqualify any individual if, based on the results of the background check, Sponsor concludes that the individual will not be a good representative for the BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® brand.
- Rights to Entries: By entering, you irrevocably: (a) grant USBG, Bacardi, Conde Nast, GQ Magazine, and each of their agents, licensees, and assigns (collectively, the “Rights Holders”) the unconditional (non-exclusive) right and permission to copyright, reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use your Entry as-is or as-edited in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party for five (5) years from the date you submitted the Entry; (b) waive any rights of copyrights, trademark rights, privacy rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Rights Holders’ use of your Entry, as outlined above, or require any further permission for the Rights Holders to use the Entry; and (c) agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Rights Holders on the grounds that any use of the Entry, or any derivative works, infringes any of your rights as creator of the Entry, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights, and moral rights.
- Publicity: Except where prohibited, by participating in the Contest, you agree that the Rights Holders and any media attending events related to the Contest may use your name, likeness, voice, opinions, photographs, audio-visual footage, recipe, biographical information, state of residence, and/or any other record of your participation in the Contest for promotional purposes in any press releases, advertisements, television, radio, film, documentary, internet, or in any other publication or media without further payment or consideration.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way, USBG may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest; or (b) award the prizes according to the criteria set forth above from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. USBG reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Contest, violates these Terms and Conditions or the USBG Code of Code posted below; or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. USBG’s failure to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to USBG by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by USBG. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void in Utah and where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless USBG, Bacardi, Conde Nast, GQ Magazine, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of Entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You further agree to indemnify, release, and hold the Released Parties harmless from any claims that their use of your Entry (as contemplated in these Rules) violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Nevada. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of USBG in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Nevada, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Nevada or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Nevada.